~ A Woodworker's Journey ~

My photo
Just having fun with my hobby. Always striving to learn my craft and improve my abilities. I enjoy making nice furniture for the house and other small things like decorative boxes, bowls/trays and other fun items. Also will often be building a lot of things to outfit my garage workshop.

15 July 2011

Woodwhisperer Guild Summer 2011 Guild Build Adirondack chair - Rough Lumber purchase

Posted on 1-July-2011 at:
  Wood Talk Online > The Wood Whisperer Guild > Guild Builds > Adirondack Chair  > Oh, put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today 

The following is a copy of one of many forum posts I made in the Wood Whisperer Guild Build Forum.  For summer 2011 Marc "The Wood Whisperer" Spagnuolo selected Greene and Greene inspired Adirondack chairs for the Summer 2011 Guild Build project.  I wanted to bring over my forum posts to this blog so family and friends could follow my progress without having to join the Wood Talk (Wood Whisperer) Online forums to see the progress.  I'll be copying and pasting all my Wood Whisperer Guild Forum posts over here as well.

 Well the lumber is bought and just hit my shop by lunch time today - just barely shy of 110 bf total of cypress.



Marc when my wife asks why so much I'm blaming you - you said if its possible overbuy - I got you on video saying it - LOL!!!! Really I am hoping its enough to pull off two chairs and accompanying footrests and a cocktail table for in between the chairs on the deck with a bit left over.







 When I was in the lumber yard with the fork lift driver puling stock all we could find is about 6" wide 4/4 stock and i was trying for about 7 to 7.5" wide on most the boards (except for the 10.75" wide pieces to cover the center back panel of the chair). The jump- up from 6" that we found in the stacks was to about 9.5 to 10" wide boards (which came with a wide board up-charge unfortunately). When I took the pull ticket back in the inside sales guy swore there was 8" wide boards out there but after being in the heat and rummaging through the stacks I decided to just pay the up-charge then go on a hunt for the narrower 8" boards.

So this afternoon is all about cutting down rough stock and milling it. Hoping to have four front legs done by end of day tomorrow - will depend on how my energy and motivation holds up - LOL (and the wife wants to go see Transformers this week and we have family BBQ to attend so we'll see how much family duties/activities pulls me out of the shop as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment