~ A Woodworker's Journey ~

My photo
Just having fun with my hobby. Always striving to learn my craft and improve my abilities. I enjoy making nice furniture for the house and other small things like decorative boxes, bowls/trays and other fun items. Also will often be building a lot of things to outfit my garage workshop.

15 July 2011

Woodwhisperer Guild Summer 2011 Guild Build Adirondack chair - Yet another table design

Posted on 4-July-2011 at:
  Wood Talk Online > The Wood Whisperer Guild > Guild Builds > Adirondack Chair  > Stool & table designs to go with chair

The following is a copy of one of many forum posts I made in the Wood Whisperer Guild Build Forum.  For summer 2011 Marc "The Wood Whisperer" Spagnuolo selected Greene and Greene inspired Adirondack chairs for the Summer 2011 Guild Build project.  I wanted to bring over my forum posts to this blog so family and friends could follow my progress without having to join the Wood Talk (Wood Whisperer) Online forums to see the progress.  I'll be copying and pasting all my Wood Whisperer Guild Forum posts over here as well.

OK version 4 of the table. Simple rectangular bread board ends on both the top and the shelf. Ebony splines for the top and rectangular ebony plugs on the cloud lift stretcher covering two screw heads going through cloud lift stretcher into shelf bread board ends. The table has certainly been the tougher design - it is such a ripe pallet for throwing design ideas at, but it also seems its the easiest to get carried away on.

@Marc - notice in the table I tried the smaller 1/4" square plugs covering screw heads into the dowels of the bracket arms - I am not certain if I have the placement where you were thinning or not. I am trying to bring in the common thing the G&G brothers did of not always aligning the square plugs on the center line - there was often a few purposely put out of alignment. Let me know if this is where you were thinking the smaller square plug would go or not - I wasn't positive if you intended it to cover a screw head going into either the end of the dowel or directly into the end of the bracket.

@Aaron - just to see visually how plugs on the side of the chair legs matching the plugs on the side of the stools side legs. Only one of these would be a real plug covering a screw head into the lower back brace, the other would be a "faux" plug for balance and aesthetics (something else the G&G brothers did - not all the plugs were there for covering screw heads, or structural reasons, some where just plain decorative). It shows in the set picture - this was just a quick copy and paste of the plugs - again not sure of the placement and I am leaning towards no plugs on the side leg in either the stool or chair.

What do ya'll think - am I converging on a good clean design solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment