~ A Woodworker's Journey ~

My photo
Just having fun with my hobby. Always striving to learn my craft and improve my abilities. I enjoy making nice furniture for the house and other small things like decorative boxes, bowls/trays and other fun items. Also will often be building a lot of things to outfit my garage workshop.

15 July 2011

Woodwhisperer Guild Summer 2011 Guild Build Adirondack chair - Routing the front leg mortises

Posted on 3-July-2011 at:
  Wood Talk Online > The Wood Whisperer Guild > Guild Builds > Adirondack Chair  > Oh, put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today 

The following is a copy of one of many forum posts I made in the Wood Whisperer Guild Build Forum.  For summer 2011 Marc "The Wood Whisperer" Spagnuolo selected Greene and Greene inspired Adirondack chairs for the Summer 2011 Guild Build project.  I wanted to bring over my forum posts to this blog so family and friends could follow my progress without having to join the Wood Talk (Wood Whisperer) Online forums to see the progress.  I'll be copying and pasting all my Wood Whisperer Guild Forum posts over here as well.

Well today was limited in the amount of shop time I got. Between family stuff (like going to see the new transformers movie with my wife and the girls) and working on Sketchup designs for a small cocktail table and footstools to go with the Adirondack chairs I didn't get as much time in the shop as I had hoped.

I did manage to get a little bit done this evening and get the front legs cut to length and the mortises routed into them.


Marc, my mimicking you from what you did in the video by putting painters tape on the rear and apron faces saved me from making a mistake during marking of the mortises and when referencing the router fence to the correct face. I wanted to make sure I kept the router fence on either the rear or apron fence to stay consistent on all four legs to remain consistent. I almost extended the start and stop lines from one face to the wrong face during markup, but I noticed the tape wasn't on the face I started to mark and I cam close to clamping the legs down with the wrong reference face out towards the edge of my bench. I came close to not putting the tape on believing I would have no problem keeping things straight, but even with the tape I almost got the faces of my legs confused.

Oh a frustrating thing I discovered about my Milwaukee router. It does not have a center line reference mark on the plunge base so I could not line up with my center mark. I had o use the other method Marc showed us in either the last video or the one before of lining the cutting edge burr of the up cut spiral bit up with the the outside line mark on the leg. Why Milwaukee could not have put a center line reference mark on a couple of sides of the base plate, especially the two sides of it that are parallel to the edge guide fence when it is mounted on the router, is beyond me. I get not putting marks on the base plate itself since it may not have been screwed on centered, but it could have been cast in the base edges itself since the motor is always centered in the base. For the most part I have really liked the Milwaukee combo set, but this is definitely a strike against this model of their router.

BTW in the pic you will see an easy convenient way to clamp the piece down if you do not have the convenience of a good vise on a woodworker's bench. I could have pulled out my Black & Decker workmate as well but the clamps on the edge of my radial arm saw bench just seemed quicker and easier to set up.

Off to shower and rest and relax before bed time. Happy Fourth of July everyone!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment