~ A Woodworker's Journey ~

My photo
Just having fun with my hobby. Always striving to learn my craft and improve my abilities. I enjoy making nice furniture for the house and other small things like decorative boxes, bowls/trays and other fun items. Also will often be building a lot of things to outfit my garage workshop.

15 July 2011

Woodwhisperer Guild Summer 2011 Guild Build Adirondack chair - Finishing the side legs

Posted on 14-July-2011 at:
  Wood Talk Online > The Wood Whisperer Guild > Guild Builds > Adirondack Chair  > Oh, put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today 

The following is a copy of one of many forum posts I made in the Wood Whisperer Guild Build Forum.  For summer 2011 Marc "The Wood Whisperer" Spagnuolo selected Greene and Greene inspired Adirondack chairs for the Summer 2011 Guild Build project.  I wanted to bring over my forum posts to this blog so family and friends could follow my progress without having to join the Wood Talk (Wood Whisperer) Online forums to see the progress.  I'll be copying and pasting all my Wood Whisperer Guild Forum posts over here as well.

I finished the side legs (minus the sanding and edge round overs that I will do just before assembly).

Last night the mortises got cut on all the legs, the curves on the first leg got cut and lots of sanding out the band saw marks happened last night. Tonight was a short night in the shop of just cutting out most the waste on the other three legs on the band saw then using the flush trim bit on the router to get the other three to match the first leg. I went with Aaron's partial cloud lift bottom edge profile - mainly because that will allow that feature to be in the stools I will build and the stool has very few opportunities to use G&G details.




At this point I am getting close to being caught up with Marc's videos. I've really been enjoying the combination of working with tools needing electrons and with the hand tools - over the past year I have slowly built up enough of a hand tool collection to feel its about time I began to get good at hand tools. Therefore I am thinking I will do the front apron with the router and chisels method and see if I can manage to make nice ramps in the slots with the chisel. I'm still debating on whether to try to do the ramps more freehand or use Tom Crawford's idea and build a ramp guide from a piece of scrap. It'll probably just come down to what mood strikes me at the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment